Retina Society Research and Education
Part of the mission of the Retina Society is to advance knowledge and education in the field of retina. Consistent with that mission the Retina Society will consider funding up to two separate grants per year to support research by Retina Society members. A total of up to $50,000 will be available, divided among the grant recipients as determined by the Research Grant committee. In general, only one grant will be awarded to a given institution each year, though exceptions may occur.
- Grants will be awarded based solely on merit, and the grants may fall in one of the following two categories:
- One grant designated for basic science or translational research
- One grant designated for clinical research
- Grant submissions will be graded by a committee based on study design, feasibility, and perceived relevance to advancement of knowledge in the field of retina. Any committee member with conflict of interest will be recused from discussion.
- Deadline for the applications will be May 1, 2021, and must be submitted electronically through the Retina Society website.
- Grant recipient(s) will be announced annually at the Retina Society meeting.
- Only Active and Associate members of The Retina Society may apply for grants.
- Members may only receive one grant per grant cycle.
- Members of the Research Committee and the Executive Committee are not eligible to be considered for these awards and may not write in support of a grant application.
Proposed research should attempt to advance our understanding of vitreoretinal physiology or pathophysiology or pursue avenues for potential therapies or therapeutic innovation. Priority will be given to innovative projects which hold the greatest promise for advancing the field.
- Clinical projects may focus on medical or surgical vitreoretinal topics.
- Ideally, the proposed research should be feasible to complete within 1-2 years, and semi-annual progress reports will be required.
- Funds should be designated for direct expenses including equipment, supplies, and non-physician salary support. The grant will not support indirect funding, principal investigator salary, overhead, travel expenses or publication costs.
- Project proposal must conform to accepted standards of research conduct (e.g., ARVO Guidelines for Use of Animals in Research, Declaration of Helsinki, etc.) and receive appropriate institutional review board approval as necessary. The Retina Society and involved committee are not responsible for judging or assessing appropriate research oversight.
- 75% of funds are to be distributed upon receipt of the grant. The remaining 25% of the funds will be distributed upon receipt of a detailed report of actual expenditures, or a satisfactory interim report.
- Outcomes from the research will be submitted as a presentation/poster for the Retina Society meeting within three years following the date of the grant award.
- Members of the Research Grant Review Committee will consist of the immediate past president, the president, the vice president, and three other members as appointed by the president. The chair of the committee will be appointed by the President with approval of the Executive Committee.
- Any meeting presentations or publications related to this project are expected to acknowledge the Retina Society Research Grant.
Only Active or Associate members of the Society may apply. Members of the Research Committee and the Executive Committee may not apply. In addition to submitting your grant application online, email the following two documents to Judith Cerone Keenan at the Retina Society: firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Curriculum vitae or NIH-style biosketch for principal investigator and co-investigators;
- A letter of recommendation by a recognized scientist who is not directly involved with the project. This letter can be short and should indicate the PI has discussed the research plan with someone of significance in the field who has validated that the project has potential merit. Members of the Retina Society Research Committee and the Executive Committee may not write in support of a grant application.
Required application information
- Member name and degrees (MD, DO, PhD, etc)
- Email address
- Phone (office and mobile)
- Mailing address
- Academic title and affiliation (if applicable)
- Project title
- Type of project (Basic science/translational or Clinical)
- Estimated timeline for project initiation and completion
- Scientific summary
- Purpose of project
- Specific aims
- Potential clinical applicability
- Prior related work including relevant publications with summaries
Estimated and Detailed Budget for Project
Including the amount requested for each of the following categories:
- Personnel and salaries
- Equipment (specific descriptions)
- Supplies (specific descriptions)
- Other confirmed and pending grant support for this project (if applicable)